Symptoms may include:
- Significant problems developing nonverbal communication skills, such as eye-to-eye gazing and facial expressions.
- Problems starting and ending conversations
- Lack of interest in sharing enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people.
- Appear shy or rude
- May struggle to see someone else perspective
- Takes things literally
- Repetition of certain phrases and behaviours
- A love of routine
Anxiety and depression can also cause real difficulties for many adults on the autism spectrum, including those with Asperger syndrome. It can affect a person psychologically and physically. Psychologists can help people manage such symptoms such as: keeping a diary, learning relaxation techniques, or just having someone to talk things over with can be helpful.
At Your MindSmith we have lots of experience in providing techniques and support to adults with a diagnosis of Autism and have found it can really make a difference.